Saturday 23 March 2013

Bitter sweet

We went for the 8 week scan on Thursday. We were both so nervous while we were waiting to go in although I was quietly confident that everything was going to be OK. My other half was a mess though. They kept us waiting for 30 minutes and he was getting more and more uptight. Thankfully once we got in there, the scanner (internal) was in place very quickly and almost instantly our little peanut popped up on the screen and the nurse pointed out the heartbeat straight away. Such a great moment! Hubby was pretty emotional, struggling to hold it together. He asked me afterwards why I hadn't got as emotional and I think it was just that I had felt relatively calm beforehand about it being a positive outcome so I just felt great happiness :) The nurse gave us 4 different scan images to take home. Here are two of them: What I initially thought was the head is actually the yolk sac which will become the placenta. The embryo itself is the little blob at the bottom of the second image. We could actually see a little arm bud on one of the pictures :) The nurse explained that the dates get slightly messed up with it being IVF and so she has calculated that I was actually 7 weeks and 3 days on the day of the scan. So I'm not quite as far along as I thought. Which means a slightly longer wait until the next scan now - darn it! I was so happy and relived to see that there was an embryo and that it was alive that I didn't even think to ask any questions about whether everything looked OK or not! Presumably they would have told us but I'm kicking my self for not checking with her. I immediately got online looking at other 7 week scans to compare and then started getting concerned that my yolk sac seems really big... And then I started googling that and found all kinds of stuff that I really didn't want to be reading! Must avoid internet articles and forums!!! The bitter in the sweet is that I fell out with a very good friend on Friday. There has been an ongoing issue with her sister and I decided to confront the elephant in the room which has led to my friend feeling veryhurt. She won't explain why and says that she can't talk to me at the moment. It's all very upsetting and has left me feeling very anxious and nervous. I hate unresolved conflict and want to sit down and talk to her as soon as possible, but it's out of my hands at the moment. You imagine yourself getting pregnant and that everything will be right with the world, but of course life carries on as before, with it's ups and downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment