Thursday 3 February 2011

One IUI down, three to go

This last week has been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. The waiting in the days approaching test day was, as accurately predicted by the nurse, pretty excrutiating. I started cramping on Saturday (5 days before test day) and assumed that my period was coming early. I got a bit blue and waited for it to happen. But the cramping stopped. Then on Sunday, the cramping started again. I started googling and discovered that cramping can be an early sign of pregnancy, as the uterus adjusts to the changes within. So, I got pretty excited about it. My period wasn't officially due for about another five days so it seemed that pregnancy was the most likely outcome. But no, 2 days before test day, Aunt Flo appeared on the doorstep. A most unwelcome guest. We were both pretty gutted and the thought of getting back into the cycle with the drugs again was depressing. My husband had mentioned test day to my mother-in-law so, not surprisingly, she called that day to see if I had done the test. I had already moved on in my head but her call made me realise how disappointed I really was. She asked me how I was feeling, and I realised that she was the first person to ask me that. I've told my Mum and several close friends about the treatment, but they don't ask me about it unless I bring it up. I appreciate that it's probably difficult for them as it's a sensitive subject, but when no-one asks it makes it feel so taboo or like they just don't really care. I put on a brave face for my mother-in-law and said "we're taking it day by day", "what will be, will be" etc, but really I felt like saying "this sucks!" "I'm really upset". So, why didn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment