Friday 28 September 2012

A very unexpected series of events

The day of the egg collection (Wednesday 26th) was eventful to say the least. Before leaving for the hospital first thing in the morning, I used the prescribed pain killer suppository diclofenac. It's a long-lasting NSAID that is prescribed to help you through the discomfort of the procedure. I used it last time with no problems at all. During our drive to the hospital, and about 20 mins after taking the diclofenac, the palms of my hands started to itch like crazy and then the soles of my feet as well. Shortly after that I was feeling pretty unwell, getting hot and starting to sweat. As we parked, my vision started to blur and within a few seconds I could barely see anything clearly. I'd lost all my energy and my limbs weren't keen on moving. My husband helped me to the clinic reception and the receptionist rushed to find a nurse for us. By this point I was sweating pretty badly and I've never wanted to lie down so badly in my life. As soon as I lay down the symptoms started to pass. They took my blood pressure which was pretty low (around 80/50 I think), gave me Puriton and said that they would keep an eye on me for a while. A little while later another wave of heat and sweating came over me. As my blood pressure wasn't going up they decided to give me an adrenalin shot in my thigh muscle (ouch!). After that my BP was rising slightly but not enough so they gave me another adrenalin shot. Following that I started to level out a bit and the consultant asked me how I felt about going ahead with the egg collection to which I didn't hesitate to say "YES!". There was no way that I wanted to get this far with the treatment for it to be a waste of time. So ahead we went. As they still wanted to monitor me there was no chance of having the lovely sedative that I had last time. This time it was just gas and air. It really wasn't too bad though, considering how rough I'd been feeling all morning. They got 6 eggs which is one more than last time :) They weren't happy to send me home so I was taken by ambulance to the neighbouring hospital site (during which I threw up) and was admitted to the gynae ward. A lovelynew building with a private room. My BP was monitored every 30 minutes and eventually it started to rise. I felt pretty nauseaous all afternoon and threw up again when the doctor came to see me. The adrenalin started to wear off and I just crashed out. When I woke up I was seriously ready for food - not having eaten anything all day. Dinner stayed down and I started to feel human again. I stayed in overnight and they finally discharged me at 3pm the following day. It was quite an experience and I've been told to avoid all NSAIDs from now on! Apparently allergic reactions sometimes don't appear until the second use. The embryologist called on Thursday morning (27th) to give us the good news that they were able to perform the ICSI on 5 of the 6 eggs and that 4 have fertilised (again, one more than last time) which is great. So despite all the drama things are really moving in the right direction! We have the embryo transfer in a couple of hours and I've been climbing the walls this morning. I think I'm just anxious to hear how the eggs are doing and to get this last procedure over with.

No comments:

Post a Comment