Wednesday 25 February 2009

Nosey parkers

Some people at work know that my husband and I recently bought a house. They also know how old we are. And they have already come to the conclusion, without any hints from me, that we are "nesting" and getting ready to have a baby.
I saw a colleague today that I haven't seen for a couple of months. After saying hello, her eyes pretty quickly honed in on my stomach. Now, maybe it's just that all I'm thinking about at the moment is pregnancy, but it seemed to me that she was (fairly unsubtley) checking me out for signs of there being a proverbial bun-in-the-oven. Later in the day we were at a hotel, attending an event. I was flicking through a Bridal magazine that was lying in a pile of other less-appealing glossies. This colleague of mine says, "You've done that! Isn't there a parenting magazine there?"
I understand that people might wonder if I will be having a baby soon. I might, privately, consider the same of other people of a similar age and at a similar stage in their life to me. But, come on, keep it to yourself! For all they know I could be infertile, or could have recently miscarried, or be on the verge of divorce... I think she was just probing for a suitable response from me that might confirm her thinking. I didn't give her one.

No comments:

Post a Comment