Monday 16 February 2009

Drugs

So I took my last contraceptive pill on Wednesday. Those tiny pills have been a security blanket for most of my adult life and taking them has become just as much a part of my routine as brushing my teeth. And now, here I am, deciding to abandon them for a different, and much more adult, life. At 34, and with nearly 12 years of marriage behind me, many people might wonder why we have waited so long. What can I say except we must have been too busy enjoying ourselves with things the way they were. But we recently began to hear the nagging tick of the biological clock and so decisions had to be made.
All you seem to hear from parents is how horrendous childbirth is, how knackering, expensive and all-consuming children are, how they take over your life - and you rarely see them say these things with a smile damn it! Just give me a smile, show me it's all worth it please!!!
But we Brits don't tend to tell each other how great things are, do we. We don't tell each other how fantastic our husbands are and how much we cherish them, or how great we consider our friends to be. That would be showing off! We moan and complain about anything and everything. And so having children is the perfect opportunity for a fantastically long winded whinge.
I picture us with children and hope that we can handle the challenge and the hard-work and that we enjoy the irreversible change in our lives. I also picture us smiling and laughing a lot more :)
I've replaced those little dots of hormones with little dots of folic acid. I was so happy to see that the folic acid came in little yellow pills and in a blister pack, just like my contraceptive pill :) Psychologically that has really helped the transition!
So here we are, wondering what happens next...

No comments:

Post a Comment